My Life... My Thoughts... My World...
Home | Forum | Photos | Email/MSN

about her...
- female - happy-go-lucky - optimistic - unpredictable - nocturnal - stubborn - emotional - romantic - dreamy -

her favs...
- forumming - photography - cooking - laughing - Sudoku - blogging - travelling - music - chatting - eating -

her peeves...
- liars - mornings - being lonely - amphibians & reptiles - being made fun of - crowds - being unappreciated -

her food favs...
- Japanese - Vietnamese - Chinese - Indonesian - Thai - Szechuan - Malaysian -




happy 41st birthday singapore!
Thursday, August 10, 2006

Happy birthday Singapore!

May you enjoy constant prosperity and growth.

Now... I wonder what this year's National Day Parade was like...
I made a definite Singaporean iconic dish to mark the occasion. Fried Rice!!!

Fried Rice (my childhood style)

Now, most would know that I absolutely die without spice BUT today's dinner was... different. I remembered what it was like when I was just a wee kid and living with my grandmother, in her Hougang semi-D, together with my uncles and aunties. My auntie used to make the most delicious dishes... there was Fried Noodles with Cubed Potatoes and Bean Sprouts, Nonya Mee Siam (not the kind U get nowadays but the ones made with belimbing) and then there was the simple Fried Rice.

However, the perfect Fried Rice is not an easy feat. Until now, I have not truly mastered the art. Fried Rice to some may simply be the tossing of a few ingredients together with rice. You are so wrong! There is a definite skill to be learnt... even down to the strength of the fire. Did you know that Fried Rice HAS to be done over a gas stove with really high heat or the rice will turn gluggy?

When we were kids, we weren't really allowed chilli sauce or anything too spicy (God knows how I developed such a penchant for it!!!) so when our meal of Fried Rice with BBQ Pork and Peas were dished up, my brother and I would almost always 'enhance' it's flavour with tomato ketchup! Hahaha!

I know for a fact that he still does that. :o) I, on the other hand, have not but enjoy mine immensely with sambal belacan...

Sambal Belacan


Is that not simply mouth-watering??? *droolzzz* If it ain't spicy, it worth eating!

So anyhow... this was the tribute to my beloved Country on its 41st birthday!!

Technorati Tags: , , , , , , , , ,


...:::My Thoughts:::...1:19 am  




stuff here
about you:


















Archives
April 2006
May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
October 2006






Free Domain Forwarding

Favicon maker- Create a favicon from any image

Listed on BlogShares
www.flickr.com
maystar designsmaystar designsmaystar designs